Tuesday, April 29, 2008


The Swearing Jar/

Well, it's been...oh...two and a half months since my last post. My time away from you lovely people has included:


ahem

A visit to Vancouver, my brother officially becoming OLD, a bad haircut, a new pair of pants (they're not easy to come by), trying to embrace singledom and failing miserably, copious amounts of sushi, meeting and working with the lovely and talented Jewel Staite and Robert Picardo, driving a golf cart for the first time (NOT over Joseph Mallozzi, despite rumours to the contrary!), a bladder infection (no, no, not ME -- my cat. It was expensive. I'm considering euthanasia...not really), exploring my new neighbourhood, a successful cleanse/ detox/ de-chocolafication, writing a brand new short film script called "By Any Other Name", a growing addiction to Dancing With the Stars, attending a dance recital that my twin four-year-old nieces were in (cutest thing I've ever seen), a horrifying audition in front of Ben Elton (who was hilarious and kind, but whose ears may never recover from my glass-shattering high E), a new short play I wrote for UnSpun Theatre's fundraiser, a pair of busted kneecaps (from running, not from an encounter with the mob), a book launch for Jacob McArthur Mooney's first book of poems, an absolute obsession with the new MacBook Air (it's so tiny. I want to eat in in a sandwich), neglecting to pay my student loans, neglecting to do my taxes (I'm working on it), getting a spot in the Toronto Fringe Festival (yaaaaaaay), casting said Fringe show, discovering my new favorite brunch restaurant (Insomnia on Bloor Street), falling even more in love with Amy Adams, discovering Luke Doucet two years after everyone else did, getting a joe job that I actually LIKE...and...last but not least...buying a cool new raincoat.

Phewf.

Now that THAT'S out of the way...

Here is a little blurb about the play I am currently writing for the Toronto Fringe Festival. I hope you will all come out and see it!


THE SWEARING JAR

by Kate Hewlett

directed by Geoffrey Pounsett

starring: Deborah Grover, Andrew Pifko, Janet Porter and Christopher Stanton


"You are the love of my life, you asshole.”


Simon and Carey are the perfect couple. But when Carey performs at Simon’s fortieth birthday celebration, she is forced to come to terms with the greatest lie her husband ever told. From the writer of Humans Anonymous and the director of A Quiet Place comes a bittersweet comedy about marriage, music, migraines…and swearing.

Acclaim for 6AM Tango’s last show:

"
Five stars! Great pacing, engaging comic performances and a generous sprinkling of laugh-out-loud lines…” – Eye Weekly
“Best of the Fringe”, “Best Ensemble” – NOW Magazine
“Sharp, funny and heartbreaking” – Online review
“Critics’ Pick” – Backstage Magazine, New York City

More info to come...

K.
p.s. The fantabulous jar drawing is by Peter Mooney, the multitalented actor/artist/demo-reel-maker/screenwriter/dvd stealer/old dog adopter.

24 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Crikey that's alot of procrastination you managed to squeeze in between blog entries ;-)....and I'm thinking the Ben Elton audtion needs further expansion in the Blog-verse.

Thanks for the update and I hope Rufus is well

8:37 PM  
Blogger Brian Schwartz said...

Good to hear from you! Happy Birthday to David first off! I hope your little friend pulls through. We are lost without our cats I believe. Sounds like you've kept busy at least, and the new play sounds awesome. Come back to New York and I'll be there! You know you want to come back to New York, haha. So I take it "meeting and working with" Jewel and Robert means another Atlantis appearance, huzzah!

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooo! *chuckles* You're back!! Good to see that things are...mostly well. ;) I hope the cat will be okay. I know I'll be a mess someday when my bud leaves me. (he's an 8 year old grey shorthair...the cat, not my husband!) Glad to hear you didn't kill Mallozzi with the cart *giggle*. And sadly, while David is now officially "old," he's still younger than me. :|

11:57 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Wow, that's a lot going on at one time. I hope your kitty makes a speedy recovery. They cost a lot when their sick, but you know we can't live without them. Congratulation on all the good things happening - forget the not so good.

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:D You procrastinate like I do! I have procrastinated from filling OUT my student loan form, procrastinated from paying my visa and over-draft bill....procreastinated from doing the reading and paper I have to do for my history class that starts on Monday...

Though have been waiting for those illusive final grades to come out, cause my university (of northern BC) is lazy and sucking when it comes to grades it seems.

And have been working crazily cause apparently working in a liquor store requires work, even though no one drinks on Monday or Tuesday nights!

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew! I'm exhuasted, just reading it :). Good to have an update. Congrats on the Fringe. Agree with Emma - need more info on Ben Elton audition - come on, give it up :)

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"De-chocolafication"? Horrors! The very idea may give me nightmares...

*My* you've been busy! And I totally picked the wrong time to lapse on Joe's blog didn't I?

5:28 AM  
Blogger Maria Lima said...

Wowza! Take a breath, you deserve it. :)

an absolute obsession with the new MacBook Air

I know, me, too! I'm utterly in love with it and am waiting for a royalty check then must go buy. ::g::

Thanks for the update and speedy recovery to the kitty.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, but hey, you seemed to have done a bunch of stuff, plus taking care of a sick kitty. Hope kitty recovers!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Independent Film News said...

Wow that was a lot! lol.
Good to read a new blog from you Kate :)

I hope that rufus is better :)

See you in june!!


Shelley

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand the cat bladder infection - I have been there, done that w/ Lovecraft (and dealt w/ my own gallbladder too!). Ended up doing an emergency trip to the vet at 11 at night in order to deal w/ it because he had the crystalization so bad he ended up being very blocked.

Take care and don't forget to update in the midsts of all your procrastination again. ;)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Becky L said...

Well, Kate, no one can say you don't keep busy. Wow! Can I have some of that energy? Please?

Best of luck with the play. Sounds great!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost didn't believe bloglines when it said you'd updated, but then twitter never lies to me. :D You've been a busy bee! And only more busy to come, what with weddingness and con-thingies and the Sparkling New Play. I hope the kitty feels better soon, poor little guy. Just remind him - all things are bearable as long as there is sushi in the world.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say that yes, David is 40, but good news! You are still younger and definitely much better to look at. David is better to laugh at, I suppose. Anyway, your poor kitty! I know how you feel, honestly, I have 6 cats myself, not to mention a couple dogs and 4 reptiles...Anywho, sorry to hear about the bad haircut, I am sure it will look cute as it grows out. We'll all get to see in July when you come to my town for Shore Leave. My 8 year old (whose birthday is the same as David's) wants to dress as a Wraith just to scare David, so hopefully we will give you more to make fun of him about :) Hope to read more blogging soon!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

*hugs your cat and you* It's very annoying when it happens! Our dog got quite a few... that was a pain! (For her, literally!)

Great o hear from you :D

8:41 PM  
Blogger allesredukt said...

Howdy, Kate.

Love you on Atlantis and in "A Dog's Breakfast." I even remember you from "Dark Water" -- very creepy movie.

Being a fellow guitar player, I'd like to hear some of your songs. Is there a CD or download available?

Keep up the great work! I hope to see more of it -- might find my way to Toronto to catch your new play.

Just another random dude,

Alan L. Paris,
Birmingham, AL

11:35 PM  
Blogger Adm.Polli said...

Congrats, Kate...
She lives!

Philandering (writings mails) and doesn't want to have help free of charge.

Greetings
Stefan, Germany

9:29 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

We assumed you were okay because we kept getting tidbits from David and Joe. Not that we worry, or anything.

Congrats on the play! Break many legs and become this incredibly successful woman who won't have time for us little people, anymore. :)

I hope kitty is feeling better. Which one caused the drama? Was it Rufus?

10:49 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Kate long time no see. Hiya. Glad you came back from Vancouver in one piece.

Oh good Fringe Festival. YEEHAW. But you are not in anything this time around?

Ah rats that's the only reason I go to see the Fringe to see you in plays.

All right since you twisted my arm I will grab my sisters and go see "The Swearing Jar"

Fran

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you've been busy, and that's a good thing. It may take awhile to get used to being single, but it's sure worth it. I finally realized that one man just can't keep up with me, there have to be more because they just don't have the energy, and I'm much saner. Much less drama all the way around.

The play sounds terrific. Toronto's Fringe wasn't part of the plan, but maybe I can figure out how to work it in there.

Best wishes for lots of success with the play, the fringe, the screenplay, and you know, the hair grows out and there are stylists who can do amazing things when it turns out that it looks like someone took a lawnmower to your head.

Best wishes,
Devon
Ink in My Coffee

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But when Carey performs at Simon’s fortieth birthday celebration, she is forced to come to terms with the greatest lie her husband ever told.

Is this insipred by real-life events? Should David be worried? ;) Seriously, though, I wish I could come see one of your plays! :) Can't wait to see you on "The Shrine of Talus" ep of SGA! :) I'm really glad they're still using your character! :)

Bummer about your cat -- I hope the kitty's okay now! I spend $500 on surgery for my rabbit a few years, basically bankrupting myself because he was my *kid*, as far as I was concerned, and he died the day after the surgery. :( And *then* I had to pay another $125, as per city ordinances, to have him cremated!! XD

7:55 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

YAY, YOU'RE BACK!

Your life has been so much more interesting than mine has been in the last two and a half months. LUCKY.

I SO wish I could see one of your plays; this one particularly sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I live 595 miles (thank you Google Maps) from Toronto.

Also, cool new raincoats for the win.

12:39 PM  
Blogger The Wondering Brit said...

So, David hits 40! (funny, I thought he was older and I’m 43 lol).
Kate, do you ever take real time out? My goodness!! I spend most of my life without any spare time and I got exhausted just reading this (but then women can multi-task I guess – grumble).
So what is Ben Elton up to these days? We don’t see much of him here in old Blighty anymore.

8:01 AM  
Blogger TheDancingArchaeologist said...

Oh yay, you're back!

Congrats on the pants. And the raincoat. And the play! If it was in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, I would be there with bells on. (not literally, as it might distract the actors...)

See you in London in June! (hope you can bring your guitar/high E/CDs)

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home