Wednesday, January 30, 2008

DAMN IT. I MISSED DAY 4 /

So here's the thing. Usually, in my limited experience, film and TV work involves a lot of sitting around, eating triple chocolate donuts, drinking seventeen cups of coffee, trying not to fall asleep on those cozy trailer sofas so I won't mess up my hair, going back for more donuts, chatting with handsome tanned men and fake-breasted women, avoiding trips to the bathroom JUST IN CASE the sound guy forgot to turn off my microphone, etc. etc...

Not so with The Last New Year! THERE IS NO SITTING AROUND. There is very little waiting. There is not a lot of down time. (I still manage to be consuming my fair share of chocolate treats, though. Let face it: there's always time for sugar. And partially hydrogenated oils.) This is making the experience a fantastic and challenging one, but it is making the blogging difficult! Today is a lighter day for me, so I should be able to put together a proper post. So far today, I've only eaten M&Ms and Advil, so forgive me if I sound high. Or wired. Or both.

Anyway...yesterday (Day 4) was a phenomenal day. Before I go into that, let me first explain the premise of the film: It tells the story of a group of twenty-somethings that get together every year for a New Year's Eve party. But this year, one of them has gone missing. So it's a very interesting movie to shoot, because it all takes place in one night, at one party, in one location (which fortunately comes well-stocked with triple chocolatey goodness.) Yesterday, we shot all the dinner scenes. We sat on the floor all day (on cushions, thank god) and drank "schnapps" (water) and "wine" (apple juice). We got to improvise like crazy, which was loads of fun. I have never had the opportunity to improvise on camera before, and it was a blast. We all laughed and talked and made up new dialogue, but also managed to find our way back to the script whenever necessary. My character is bossy and uptight (I can't think WHY they cast ME) so I got to tell everyone what to do. Fun times.

So day 4 involved some more great work with a stellar cast and director -- they really are amazing -- and the discovery that when I hit thirty, I stopped being able to sit on the floor for long periods of time. I've got the knees and hips of a grandmother.


Day 5 /

Now on to TODAY. It is 1:30pm. So far, I have been on set for three hours and it feels like three minutes. (It's funny how on set, time either flies or crawls, depending on how many scenes you are in.) I shot a scene this morning with Phil (my buddy from Humans Anonymous and the P in PHARK) which went okay, I think. We were both sort of struggling with what the scene was about, but with the help of Garfield (the director extraordinaire) we figured it out.

time time time

la la la

Okay. Now it's 6:45pm! Where does the time go? We did a whole bunch of dancing scenes earlier this afternoon (without music!) and fortunately, I got to be the wallflower. No dancing for me. This evening things might change. Ohhh dear. Is the world ready for me dancing on film? No. No it isn't.

Gotta go!

Hope these updates are somewhat interesting...

K.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many cups of coffee?? Glad you are having fun on set... maybe you could film here in Nova Scotia at some point in time....
I take it that Decaf is NOT an option...
Great to see you updating
Warm Fuzzies
Dianne

7:45 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

"avoiding trips to the bathroom JUST IN CASE the sound guy forgot to turn off my microphone"

pray tell is that the voice of experience there...lol

and are you given an idea of what type of music will be used, eg fast and dancey or slow emo, to avoid looking too out of step, enquiring minds.

Thanks for squeezing in an update.

8:31 PM  
Blogger MushyPup said...

This sounds like you are having SO much fun. I hope the movie comes out in the American market because I really want to see this.

So, um, .... uptight and bossy, huh? Channeling your brother (or his famous character) are you? Heh.

Love the updates - keep them coming!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Brian Schwartz said...

Cool, you're on blogging fire! Nice to learn about the film's plot – it sounds like it could go in any direction. I did a little improvising back in high school, which was really fun! We didn't go very far with it because most of us didn't learn our lines for the theater portion of the class (I think I did...maybe). I'd jump at the chance to do it again! Anywho, sounds like each night gets even more exciting than the last. Have fun!

Brian

10:34 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

They are interesting, keep writing (I mean, after you're done acting cause I wanna see your stuff lol)

10:54 PM  
Blogger ames said...

Let face it: there's always time for sugar.

A woman after my own heart.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Becky L said...

Your updates are always interesting, Kate. We understand if you can't update every day. The movie sounds great and I'm really glad you are having a good time working on it.

Oh, yes, regarding the knees/hips - as someone a bit older than you (by like several years) start checking around now with drug stores/doctors about what you can do and take (suppliments) to help with those. I wish I had at your age. Now I am really paying for it. The earlier you start, the better off you will be.

11:41 PM  
Blogger ZoniDuck said...

Well, speaking for myself, I enjoy reading your posts very much. I think it's safe to say that I'll never work on a movie set, so it's fascinating getting a behind-the-scenes glimpse of what it's like.

So post away!

But easy on the coffee, okay?

12:00 AM  
Blogger watcher652 said...

I think your blogs are interesting and funny. Blog away!

How long is the shoot scheduled for? Are they planning to release it in the US? You said it was a feature film. Did you mean "the big screen"?

4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The updates are wonderful! It's really interesting to see how a movie gets made from the inside. I mean, there aren't a lot of blogs out there that address the very real concern of going to the bathroom while your mic's still turned on.

Keep up the good blogging!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a lot of fun :)
and a lot of work *g*
any chance the movie will get onto international market? It sounds very interesting and funny and you're making me want to watch it NOW^^

I enjoy this updates a lot, it's great to read what's going on in you life every night :) keep them coming *g*

10:46 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Kate welcome to the over 30 crowd. The film is sounding great I am looking forward to seeing this.

Love the updates keep them coming

Hugs

Fran

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, 'tis very cool to see updates! :D And very cool to hear how well things are going with the movie. :)

Ever have Riley's Coffee? I should send you some; it's marvelous. :) The Chocolate Fudge is fab!

9:23 AM  
Blogger PLoker said...

How's the shooting going??

Finally saw your Tim Horton's commercial a few days back.. YOU WERE AWESOME!! Thought you would have been on screen a smigdgen more. It's weird seeing you in that uniform. I wore one for 6 years....YIKES!!

Thanks for keeping up the blog during your crazy filming schedule.

Does it feel weird to be back at the Loft?? Any subressed memories?? LOL just kidding.

11:17 AM  
Blogger UndokBeka said...

I can't imagine what could happen when your Blood-sugar drops below zero. :) Good to know you are having fun on set. :)

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

I totally believe it's impossible for a woman to survive a film shoot without:

Enough chocolate

The RIGHT chocolate.

Enjoy!

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hollywood,
Bollywood Star Wallpapers - Get all Hollywood, Bollywood Star Wallpaper, Hot Videos, Download Movies, Download Songs, Bollywood News, Bollywood Gossip,
online hindi radio, live radio, Orkut Proxy and more...

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home