Monday, November 09, 2009


Happy Smonday /

If I call it "Smonday", it sounds a little more like "Sunday", which means I'm a hair closer to meeting my goal of blogging the same day each week.  So happy Smonday, folks.

Last week was utter craziness!  I had some major rewrites to do on my short film, as well as Italian homework, flu recovery, meetings meetings meetings and an open house (because our landlords are selling our perfect little house -- BOOOOOO.  My roommate and I do NOT want to move again.)

Making a short film is a lot of work -- who knew?!  When all is said and done, She Said Lenny will probably end up being eight or nine minutes long...and my business partner and I have been working on it for two years!  We were set to shoot the thing this month, but that is unlikely to happen, so we are now aiming for early March.  I am trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up (yes, still), which will affect what my role is in the creation of the film.  Should I act in it?  Should I direct it?  [Terrifying prospect.  I have so much admiration for my brother, who directed a feature film (A Dog's Breakfast) his first time out of the gate.]  Should I shadow a kick-ass director?  Should I learn how to produce so that I can get stuff done and not be waiting around for other people all the time?  Should I focus on writing and let the experts handle the technical stuff?

It's oddly disconcerting to be 32 (almost 33) and not quite know what to do with my life.  It's also kind of exciting.  And it's nice to have the luxury of being able to ask those questions.

In other news:  a stranger called me a c**t this morning.  Always a nice start to the day.  I was just minding my own business, enjoying the sunshine and drinking a latte made out of beans, when an angry man with pre-pubescent facial hair came up to me, pointed in my face and called me...you got it...the C-word.  I'm not sure where my impulse came from, but I gave him a big smile and said "Thank you!  Have a nice day."  This made him even angrier.  He growled, "There are others like you," at which point I realized that he was out of his f**kin' mind.  Which made it less personal, somehow.  It was also reassuring to learn that there are other c**ts around -- you know, in case I need friends and no one will talk to me because I'm such a c**t.

Wow.  I'm deriving way to much pleasure from the cartoon swearing today.

&*!@
**!@!

Have a happy week, everyone.  And remember: don't let crazy men on the street ruin your day.  I think you're swell.

k!t@

18 Comments:

Blogger Adm.Polli said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Adm.Polli said...

Hey Kate,
how sweet & lovely is your new Twitter profile picture?!? :o)

Greetz,
Stefan

3:36 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Eee gads! and I thought I was the only 30-something still in a quandry as to what to be when she 'grows up'...can procrastination be a career? how about sleeping? being professionally snarky?...oh, wait I believe someone's already taken up that position...back to the drawing board then ;-)

Does your 'out of his freakin' tree guy' have a passport because I'm pretty sure I co-habited a bus queue recently with a similar fella who enlightened me to many descriptive terms for the female of the species before a couple of nice uniformed gentlemen encouraged him to take his show on the road...each to their own I guess.

Good luck with the writing/film making/ home work/ possible house hunting

3:38 PM  
Anonymous versy said...

You are so pretty. I love your hair! I wish mine would curl like that :(

4:33 PM  
Blogger Brian Schwartz said...

I love that picture! You're looking like Rufus just said something very witty.

I look forward to hearing more about your short film. I've done some myself (including this action-sci-fi-comedy thing write now) for high school and college, but these days the ideas are all too ambitious and I have neither the time nor the money nor the people around to do them.

In terms of what role to play in making the film, I think it should be whatever makes you feel most comfortable in getting your vision out, even if it's directing AND acting. No doubt it'll seem stressful at the time, but it'll be so worth it in the end to see the finished product and what you accomplished. I'm sure David has plenty of advice in that field!

Sorry about the weirdo encounter, always unsettling but perhaps a good line for a future play?

According to The Bridge season six schedule, you might be in NYC in March for The Swearing Jar? If so, can't wait!!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah I'm working in a call center talking esclation calls and get called interesting things by loads of people NO FUN!!

I'm working at said call center cause I had no idea what to do with my life either.... still don't :(

Try to experince as many differnt things as you can.. Try producing if you haven't tryed that or act and Direct just like David did.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

6:20 PM  
Blogger koreen (aka: winn) said...

Happy happy!
We're working on sickness recovery ourselves (and I can't say enough for oil of oregano capsules and garlic).
Do your own thing. Your brother's work is awesome, but you are a talent in your own right. Own it, woman. (I haven't seen A Dog's Breakfast, but I really really want to... where do I find it?)
Personally, crazy street people send me running.
I don't know you, but it's somehow reassuring that you don't mind being called a c**t. It's freeing, isn't it?
Have a great week.

7:28 PM  
Blogger vorador said...

Hi Kate,

I'd try producing it, or, if you feel like doing a specific thing, do that instead.

And about the crazy guy... He was crazy, so... probably not his fault...

However, for calling you that, I say he was a %&#$*% &%$#@!!!

Or something.

Good Luck with the short film. :)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Wow you are only 32 almost 33. You don't look a day over 20. Wow you are 10 years younger than me! *SIGH* I remember that age. You should try your hand at producing, and directing, your film.Just for the experience. Who knows you might be awesome at it.Never know unless you try. Is that Rufus? He's so cute. Sorry you have to move again. That sucks. Where are you moving to this time? Good luck at finding a place.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the crazy man mishap. Weird things like that can happen, so don't take it personal.
For instance:
One time a girl my age threw her pink slushee in my face as we passed in the street, calling me a creep.
A few minutes later as I was furiously trying to walk back home, she ran up to me and apologized. Apparently she mistook me for somebody else.

So what I'm saying is, maybe what he meant to call you was "cute."
...Just a thought :)

6:26 AM  
Anonymous tim said...

I think as long as you can pay the bills and eat every day, deciding what you want to be doesn't really matter so much. Do what you enjoy.

:)

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had a crazy bad guy day, but you gave me a smile when you wrote:

"out of the gate." :-)

Thanks, whether you meant to be witty or not!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I didn't know people talked like that in Canada. It's an every day event in the big city south of the border. Don't tell me the deleted commentators repeated the term?

8:53 PM  
Blogger ysabelkid said...

Huh. Odd, the people one meets. Still, I liked your riposte! Politeness is so much better than the violent approach (which would have been my reaction, but would probably not have worked in my favour).

Kudos to you!

P.S. The "gate" pun tickled me, too - even if it wasn't planned!

2:49 PM  
Blogger banzai said...

I loved your work in your brothers film and on Stargate.

I think you should give it a go. I see more and more actors who's work I enjoy getting into the producing and directing.

:)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Small Infinities said...

Your new picture is very cute (both you and the cat)! Though the cat looks like it doesn't want anything to do with the picture. Still, you're doing better than I manage, unless they're asleep I end up with "side of the cat" or "butt of the cat" pictures, which is never what I'm going for.

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to be a year late looking you up and for that I apologize, seeing the posts regarding you being called the "C" word causes me great discomfort. I would like to say that I for one would never use this word toward you or any other woman and I know I am not the only one. You are a stunning woman and perhaps he was only speaking towards his own inadequacies as a person and he responded to your beauty the only way he knew of, he had no other way to express his thoughts?? Or not.....

Take care,
Andrew.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home